Former METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted gave his first official interview since leaving the band on Wednesday night, June 20th, when he appeared on KNAC.com's Breath Of Fire show (hosted by Lonn Friend). Three tracks from Newsted's upcoming ECHOBRAIN CD—including a song containing a Kirk Hammett guitar lead—were aired during the bassist's appearance, and a number of topics were discussed, including his reasons for leaving METALLICA and Jason's future plans. Here are some of the things that were revealed during the conversation:
- Newsted has severe cervical spine damage from all the 'headbanging' that he has done and the heavy basses that he has been using on stage for the 14 years that he was on the road with METALLICA, a factor that he claims was the main contributor to his leaving the group. He also revealed that he has had no surgery yet to correct the problem, but that has been receiving treatment in the form of acupuncture and physical therapy. He does not see himself touring around the world ever again (no more 200 two-hour-plus gigs a year),and all of his future live appearances will be scattered and conducted on a limited basis, so as to not exacerbate his medical condition. Although the back problem was given as the primary reason for his leaving the group, Newsted suggested that an emotional and mental toll was taken as well, which ultimately contributed to his departure.
- According to Jason, METALLICA's 'relationship counselor' meetings revealed that Hetfield, Ulrich and Hammett never really completed the grieving process for the deceased bassist Cliff Burton, and the anger inside them fueled much of the band's relationship with Jason. However, he indicated that all of them have finally gotten through the grieving and been freed by it. The bassist also revealed that he was in depression for some time, but the sessions helped him get out of it and get his life back on track.
- Newsted indicated that he would love for METALLICA's new bassist to be a close friend of the band and someone they respect, such as ARMORED SAINT/FATES WARNING bassist Joey Vera or ALICE IN CHAINS/SPYS4DARWIN four-stringer Mike Inez. He was especially enthusiastic about Inez's potential involvement, and raved about the latter's professionalism and touring/recording experience.
- Jason admitted that he knew METALLICA's appearance at the VH1Awards show would be his last time playing with METALLICA, a fact that the rest of the group was not aware of at the time.
- Jason was proud of the fact that that his joining METALLICA kicked their butts into shape, and he thinks that his leaving will have a similar effect.
- Newsted stated that he feels that his leaving the group will enable all four of them to produce best stuff they all can (Jason with his various projects, and James, Lars and Kirk as METALLICA),and that he knows METALLICA will become 'kings' again.
- Jason said that being in METALLICA caused him to push all the other elements of his life aside, and now that he is out, he his getting much of his personal life back, since he felt that, until the moment he left, he was always 'on call' to the band. He also stated that he needs the pursuit of making music to be in his life, but he does not regret a minute of the time he spent as bassist of METALLICA.
- Jason will continue to write and record music and release it through Chophouse Records, a record company he founded. Echobrain.com and chophouserecords.com will be on line shortly, although Jason admits to being an 'analog man', so catching up with the technology it might take time. The ECHOBRAIN CD, and possibly some of Newsted's other material, will be available for sale through these sites. In the meantime, you can write for more information to:
454 Las Gallinas Avenue #353
San Rafael California 94903-3618
(source: Encyclopedia Metallica & Inter Sandman)
MEGADETH have selected 'Dread & The Fugitive Mind' as the second single from their Sanctuary release The World Needs A Hero. The track will impact radio on July 23rd. MEGADETH is currently putting together a headlining fall tour, which is tentatively set to begin in September. In the meantime, mainman Dave Mustaine has announced via the group's official web site that the aforementioned The World Needs A Hero has already passed Capitol Punishment in sales in each of the following countries: USA, UK, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Rep., Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Sweden, and Switzerland.
HATEBREED have fired drummer Cliff 'Rigg' Ross after a series of mishaps and internal disagreements that culminated in the band missing the St. Louis stop of the current Ozzfest tour. Although it was initially reported that Rigg was involved in a car accident the day of the aforementioned show, thereby forcing the band to cancel, the real reason appears to be entirely personal and was ultimately the last straw for the rest of the group, who promptly dismissed the skinsman. Here is HATEBREED's official statement on the matter:
'Yes, it's true, people. Rigg Ross is no longer the drummer for HATEBREED. Rigg was not in a car accident. He is fine. Someone said that in order to buy some time and not miss our Ozzfest show in St. Louis. We had no clue where he was. Well, needless to say, we missed the show and Rigg was fired. This was the last straw for him. We hate going through this sh.t over & over again, but it had to be this way and it f.ckin' sucks and it's very painful for all of us. I really don't want to get into talking about our personal lives, but we loved Rigg & he is an amazing talent and a genuinely good dude, but we could not go on with him. We wish him the best of luck and we will all still remain friends with him. We will post again soon to let you all know who will be filling his spot. Thanx & respect to everyone who continues support us through all the bullsh.t and thanx to Teddy from E-TOWN for filling in for us last night in Lincoln, NE. & today in Denver, CO. Both were amazing shows. More soon. — HATEBREED.'
Finland's H.I.M. have recorded a cover of the TURBONEGRO classic 'Rendezvous with Anus', for inclusion on the TURBONEGRO tribute album Alpha Motherf.ckers, which is also set to feature contributions from THERAPY?, among others.
CLAWFINGER's brand new single, 'Out To Get Me', is due to be released on Monday, June 25th. 'Out To Get Me' comes off CLAWFINGER's long-awaited fourth studio album, A Whole Lot of Nothing, which is due to emerge through G.U.N./Supersonic Records on July 23rd.
The UK office of Century Media Records is making available for sale 100 copies of the NEVERMORE limited-edition tour release Believe In Nothing, of which only 1500 were pressed. Containing the title track, along with the PAUL SIMON cover 'Sound Of Silence', 'All Cowards Hide', 'Love Bites' (JUDAS PRIEST cover),the full album version of 'Believe In Nothing' and a video version of the same song, Believe In Nothing can be obtained by sending a cheque / PO for £8.00 (including postage / packaging) to: CENTURY MEDIA, 9 Thorpe Close, Portobello Road, London, W10 5XL, UK. Phone : 020 8960 8448 Fax : 020 8960 8338
Former THEATRE OF TRAGEDY guitarist Tommy Olsson's band ELUSIVE (whose musical direction is being described as 'cracking good dark rock and roll') have signed a deal with Pandaimonium Records. The group's debut album, Destination Zero, is tentatively due to be released in October.
PITCHSHIFTER's first album, Industrial, has been re-released through Peaceville/Snapper Records in a brand new slip-case format.
Swedish pop-punkers MILLENCOLIN will be replacing the drummer-less BAD RELIGION at the St. Gallen Open Air Festival in Switzerland Friday on June 29th. This show will mark MILLENCOLIN's only European performance this summer.
DOKKEN mainman Don Dokken is working on an solo album consisting of ballads for which he's currently looking for a deal.
The newly revamped SKID ROW, featuring singer Johnny Solinger, have added more shows to their current summer itinerary. Here are the confirmed dates so far:
June 26 - Allentown, PA @ Crocodile Rock Cafe
June 27 - Milmont Park, PA @ Tom & Jerry's
June 28 - Burgettstown, PA @ Pepsi Cola Roadhouse
June 29 - Old Bridge, NJ @ Birch Hill Nite Club
June 30 - Deerfield, OH @ Midwest Fireworks
July 03 - Richmond, VA @ Club Razzles
July 05 - Jamestown, NY @ Mad Murdock's
July 06 - Brooklyn, NY @ L'Amours
July 07 - Wantagh, NY @ Mulcahy's
July 09 - Charlotte, NC @ Tremont Music Hall
July 12 - Atlanta, GA @ Masqurade
July 13 - Winston-Salem, NC @ Ziggy's
July 14 - Atlantic Beach, NC @ Ziggy's By the Sea
July 18 - Wahpeton, ND @ Mug Shots
July 19 - Arnold's Park, IA @ Captain's Gateway
July 20 - Cadott, WI @ Rock Fest
July 21 - Lansing, MI @ Hot Shots
July 22 - Lansing, MI @ Hot Shots
July 26 - Flint, MI @ Razzmatazz
July 27 - Valparaiso, IN @ Silver Bullet
July 28 - South Elgin, IL @ The Other Side
Aug. 16 - Medina, MN @ Medina Entertainment Center
Aug. 17 - Fargo, ND @ Playmakers
Aug. 18 - Mandan, ND @ Rockin Library
MISFITS' Jerry Only will appear on Seton Hall's Pirate Radio WSOU 89.5 F.M. on Wednesday, June 27th starting at 4 PM EST. He will be joined by special guests Marky Ramone (of the RAMONES) and Robo & Dez Cadena of BLACK FLAG. You can listen to WSOU on the web at www.wsou.net. In other news, MSG's Metro Channel will broadcast an on subway interview segment with Jerry Only and Marky Ramone on the Emmy award-winning show Subway Q&A this Sunday, June 24th at 11 PM EST. The show repeats on Monday the 25th at 10:30 PM EST.
SAXON have reportedly re-recorded 13 of their greatest hits, eight of which will be available as a bonus CD of a limited edition of their forthcoming studio album, Killing Ground, which is due in September. All 13 tracks are tentatively due to be released in early 2002 on a separate CD.
The UK's BAL-SAGOTH have been forced to cancel their participation in the Summertime Slaughter tour of the USA due to 'financial considerations' by their label, Nuclear Blast America.
UK-based all-girl outfit SUGARCOMA are set to release their debut album at the end of the year through Music For Nations Records. The as-yet-untitled CD was produced by Colin Richardson (i.e. MACHINE HEAD, FEAR FACTORY).
EARTH CRISIS frontman Karl Buechner will be in London on Monday, June 25th, to partake in a debate with former drug dealer Howard Marks on the subject of 'Why Intoxication Is Necessary'. The event is scheduled to take place at the ICA in The Mall at 6:45 PM.
AEROSMITH have reportedly signed a sponsorship deal with Dodge and will be paid millions annually to plug the auto line in ads, TV and radio commercials, at NASCAR events and in the group's ongoing Just Push Play tour. Jim Schroer, executive VP of global marketing of Dodge owner DaimlerChrysler, called the alliance between AEROSMITH and Dodge 'a perfect match. Both represent the rebellious and youthful energy that great rock 'n' roll bands and great car brands have come to represent.'
Christian Weiss, the baby-sitter for the four-year-old boy who died in former MOTLEY CRUE drummer Tommy Lee's pool in Malibu last weekend, has left the United States and is now in Germany. Weiss, who left the property to attend Saturday's WANGO TANGO concert at Dodger Stadium, had asked a woman to watch Veres, sources at the party were quoted as saying. Unconfirmed reports place Weiss in Munich, where his family lives. He is said to be distraught and fears legal repercussions, according to sources who know Veres' mother, German actress Ursula Karven. She and husband James Veres had been planning to move to Germany in August. The couple has another son, Christophe, 8.
Five brand new shows have been added to the former VAN HALEN frontman DAVE LEE ROTH's Diamond Dave Saves The Day Tour. Here are all the confirmed dates:
June 22 - Ameristar, Kansas City, MO
June 23 - The Rock, Minneapolis, MN
June 30 - Wild Rose Amphitheatre, Bottineau, ND
July 03 - Sunset Station Casino, Las Vegas, NV
July 20 - Valley Music Festival, Cadott, WI
Aug. 18 - Levi Carter Park, Omaha, NE
Aug. 31 - Caesar's, Atlantic City, NJ
Sept. 01 - Caesar's, Atlantic City, NJ
French black metal band SETH have parted ways with vocalist Vampyr Vicomte Arkames. According to an official statement from the band, Vampyr will leave the group after the recording of their forthcoming album, which is due at the end of the year. 'He will now fully concentrate his energy on his two other bands, AD INFERNA and MORNINGRISE, and on the label that we put up together, Apokalypse Records,' the statement reads. 'V.V.A. will indeed be the singer and lyrics writer on the new album, which will be recorded in July 2001 at the Sound Suite Studio, but he won't be with the band anymore when the tour starts.' SETH is presently confirmed to play in Antwerpen, Belgium on December 15th and Tiburg, Holland on December 16th in what will likely be the band's debut live performances with their as-yet-undetermined new vocalist.
Pre-show and concert photos from JUDAS PRIEST's London Astoria gig on June 15th can be viewed at this location.
BACKYARD BABIES' video for 'Brand New Hate', the first single off the group's chart-topping Making Enemies Is Good CD, is available for download from this location.