BLACK SABBATH's "13" took the number one spot in WJCU's "Metal On Metal" Top 25 year-end album countdown show, which aired on January 3. "13" dominated the listener poll, receiving 30% more votes than second-place finisher, SAXON's "Sacrifice". AMON AMARTH's "Deceiver Of The Gods", MOTÖRHEAD's "Aftershock" and DEATH ANGEL's "The Dream Calls For Blood" finished close runner-ups to SAXON.
This was the 30th year of the poll, which is an annual tradition with metal fans in the Cleveland and one of "Metal On Metal"'s most popular programs. Listeners were asked to nominate their top three albums of 2013. 1,356 votes were received.
"It's hard to believe it has been 30 years," says "Metal On Metal" host Bill Peters.
"I started the poll for fun back in 1984 during my second year of hosting the show and it just caught on. I never imagined at the time it would still be going this long.
"My listeners start asking as early as September when I will be accepting votes. They really get into it and take this seriously. Some organize countdown show parties and there is even gambling on the results. It's pretty crazy!
"I have the greatest listeners in the world. They have assembled yet another great list this year, showing off their diversity and knowledge.
"A few of my personal favorites didn't make it and some bands I do not play are on there, but that's the beauty of it. I'll stack this list up against any other I've seen.
"Although SABBATH was the runaway winner this year — no surprises there — it was cool to see underground releases from bands like MOTHERSHIP, WARLORD, ATLANTEAN KODEX, BLOOD CEREMONY and ATTACKER make the chart.
"My greatest love in doing the show has always been turning people on to new music and underground bands."
The show has garnished the attention of not only fans but musicians as well. Bobby Blitz (OVERKILL),Wolf Hoffmann (ACCEPT),Dave Mustaine (MEGADETH),Chuck Billy (TESTAMENT),Steve "Lips" Kudow (ANVIL) and Robb Reiner (ANVIL) have all have acknowledged recent past album victories by publicly thanking their fans from Cleveland.
WJCU's "Metal On Metal" can be heard every Friday night from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. EST on 88.7 FM in the Cleveland, Ohio area or streamed worldwide at www.wjcu.org.
"Metal On Metal"'s top albums of 2013:
01. BLACK SABBATH - "13" (Vertigo)
02. SAXON - "Sacrifice" (UDR)
03. AMON AMARTH - "Deceiver Of The Gods" (Metal Blade)
04. MOTÖRHEAD - "Aftershock" (UDR)
05. DEATH ANGEL - "The Dream Calls For Blood" (Nuclear Blast)
06. TROUBLE - "The Distortion Field" (FRW Music)
07. ANVIL - "Hope In Hell" (The End)
08. VOLBEAT - "Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies" (Vertigo)
09. GHOST - "Infestissumam" (Loma Vista)
10. MOTHERSHIP - "Mothership" (Ripple)
11. FATES WARNING - "Darkness In A Different Light" (Inside Out)
12. CLUTCH - "Earth Rocker" (Weathermaker)
13. ORCHID - "Mouths Of Madness" (Nuclear Blast)
14. WARLORD - "The Holy Empire" (Sons Of A Dream)
15. QUEENSRŸCHE - "Queensryche" (Century Media)
16. SOILWORK - "Living Infinite" (Nuclear Blast)
17. DREAM THEATER - "Dream Theater" (Roadrunner)
18. ATLANTEAN KODEX - "The White Goddess - A Grammar Of Poetic Myth" (20 Buck Spin)
19. STRATOVARIUS - "Nemesis" (Armoury)
20. DEEP PURPLE - "Now What?! (Eagle Rock)
21. BLOOD CEREMONY - "Eldritch Dark" (Rise Above/Metal Blade)
22. SHADES OF REMEMBRANCE - "Veil" (Shades Of Remembrance)
23. CARCASS - "Surgical Steel" (Nuclear Blast)
24. VOIVOD - "Target Earth" (Century Media)
25. ATTACKER - "Giants Of Canaan" (Metal On Metal)