DIO's 1996-2004 Studio Album Collection Lands On Charts Around The Globe
April 3, 2020
DIO's recently reissued 1996-2004 studio albums have been met with an amazing worldwide reception, particularly in the United States, Germany and Spain, where all four albums have debuted at impressive chart positions, even surpassing the original releases' chart positions.
"Master Of The Moon" (2004) were released March 20 by BMG in newly remastered versions with rare and never before released live and studio bonus tracks.
Of the four releases, only "Killing The Dragon" charted upon original release in the U.S., peaking at No. 199. The reissues, however, have reached higher positions on the Billboard 200 sales chart, with "Magica" at No. 118, "Killing The Dragon" at No. 125, "Angry Machines" at No. 126 and "Master Of The Moon" at No. 127. On the U.S. catalog sales chart, the releases have fared even better: "Magica" at No. 46, "Killing The Dragon" at No. 49, "Angry Machines" at No. 50 and "Master Of The Moon" at No. 51.
On the German charts, the four records all landed in the Top 50, with all but "Killing The Dragon" surpassing their original positions: "Magica" landed at No. 32, with the original release at No. 40; "Killing The Dragon" came in at No. 35, just five positions higher than its original release; "Master Of The Moon" originally charted at No. 62, with the reissue coming in 19 spots higher at No. 43; and "Angry Machines", which did not originally chart, at No. 44.
In Spain, all four albums made their chart debuts with the reissues — all landing in the Top 30 — with "Killing The Dragon" at No. 16, "Magica" at No. 19, "Angry Machines" at No. 26 and "Master Of The Moon" at No. 28.
Long out of print on vinyl, the 180-gram black vinyl includes the original tracklistings and is available as a limited-edition first run with an LP-sized lenticular album art print. As a special bonus, the "Magica" 2-LP also contains a seven-inch single featuring "Electra", the only known completed track from the planned "Magica 2" album.
The CD versions of each album have also been long out of print globally. These newly remastered deluxe versions are showcased in mediabook packaging along with a second disc featuring rare and unreleased bonus material. In addition to rare studio tracks "Electra" (included on "Magica") and "Prisoner Of Paradise" (included on "Master Of The Moon"),each bonus disc includes a selection of both rare or never before released live tracks from the accompanying tour for each studio release.
The albums were remastered by longtime DIO collaborator Wyn Davis with updated artwork from frequent DIO art director Marc Sasso.
All bonus tracks are also available on the streaming/digital versions.
Originally released in 1996 and featuring the lineup of Ronnie James Dio (vocals),Tracy G (guitars),Jeff Pilson (bass),Vinny Appice (drums) and Scott Warren (keyboards),the CD/digital version features 12 bonus tracks recorded live on the "Angry Machines" tour in 1997.
Disc 1 and LP track listing
01. Institutional Man 02. Don't Tell The Kids 03. Black 04. Hunter Of The Heart 05. Stay Out Of My Mind 06. Big Sister 07. Double Monday 08. Golden Rules 09. Dying In America 10. This Is Your Life
Disc 2 - Bonus / Live on "Angry Machines" tour 1997
01. Jesus Mary And The Holy Ghost - Straight Through The Heart 02. Don't Talk To Strangers 03. Double Monday 04. Hunter Of The Heart 05. Holy Diver 06. Heaven And Hell 07. Long Live Rock And Roll 08. Man On The Silver Mountain 09. Rainbow In The Dark 10. The Last In Line 11. The Mob Rules 12. We Rock
Originally released in 2000 and featuring the lineup of Ronnie James Dio (vocals),Craig Goldy (guitars),Jimmy Bain (bass) and Simon Wright (drums),the 2-LP set includes a bonus seven-inch of studio track "Electra" and the CD/digital version features 10 never-released-before "Magica" tracks performed on tour in 2001.
Disc 1 and LP 1 track listing (LP 2 includes "Magica Story" + bonus 7")
01. Discovery 02. Magica Theme 03. Lord Of The Last Day 04. Fever Dreams 05. Turn To Stone 06. Feed My Head 07. Eriel 08. Chalis 09. As Long As It's Not About Love 10. Losing My Insanity 11. Otherworld 12. Magica (Reprise) 13. Lord Of the Last Day (Reprise)
Disc 2 - Bonus / Live on "Magica" tour 2001
01. Discovery 02. Magica 03. Lord Of The Last Day 04. Fever Dreams 05. Eriel 06. Chalis 07. Losing My Insanity 08. Otherworld 09. Electra - Studio Track 10. Magica Story - Studio/Spoken Word 18:26
"Killing The Dragon"
Originally released in 2002 and featuring the lineup of Ronnie James Dio (vocals),Doug Aldrich (guitars),Jimmy Bain (bass) and Simon Wright (drums),the CD/digital version includes six tracks recorded live on the "Killing The Dragon" tour in 2002/2003.
Disc 1 and LP track listing:
01. Killing The Dragon 02. Along Comes A Spider 03. Scream 04. Better In The Dark 05. Rock And Roll 06. Push 07. Guilty 08. Throw Away Children 09. Before The Fall 10. Cold Feet
Disc 2 - Bonus / Live on "Killing The Dragon" tour 2002/2003
01. Holy Diver 02. Heaven And Hell 03. Rock And Roll 04. I Speed At Night 05. Killing The Dragon 06. Stand Up And Shout
"Master Of The Moon"
Originally released in 2004, "Master Of The Moon" was the final studio album under the DIO band name and featured the lineup of Ronnie James Dio (vocals),Craig Goldy (guitar),Jeff Pilson (bass) and Simon Wright (drums). The CD/digital version includes five bonus tracks recorded live on the "Master Of The Moon" tour in 2004/2005.
Disc 1 and LP track listing
01. One More For The Road 02. Master Of The Moon 03. The End Of The World 04. Shivers 05. The Man Who Would Be King 06. The Eyes 07. Living The Lie 08. I Am 09. Death By Love 10. In Dreams
Disc 2 - Bonus / Live on "Master Of The Moon" tour 2004/2005
01. Heaven And Hell 02. Rainbow In The Dark 03. Rock And Roll Children 04. The Eyes 05. Prisoner Of Paradise - Studio Track
BLABBERMOUTH.NET uses the Facebook Comments plugin to let people comment on content on the site using their Facebook account. The comments reside on Facebook servers and are not stored on BLABBERMOUTH.NET. To comment on a BLABBERMOUTH.NET story or review, you must be logged in to an active personal account on Facebook. Once you're logged in, you will be able to comment. User comments or postings do not reflect the viewpoint of BLABBERMOUTH.NET and BLABBERMOUTH.NET does not endorse, or guarantee the accuracy of, any user comment. To report spam or any abusive, obscene, defamatory, racist, homophobic or threatening comments, or anything that may violate any applicable laws, use the "Report to Facebook" and "Mark as spam" links that appear next to the comments themselves. To do so, click the downward arrow on the top-right corner of the Facebook comment (the arrow is invisible until you roll over it) and select the appropriate action. You can also send an e-mail to blabbermouthinbox(@)gmail.com with pertinent details. BLABBERMOUTH.NET reserves the right to "hide" comments that may be considered offensive, illegal or inappropriate and to "ban" users that violate the site's Terms Of Service. Hidden comments will still appear to the user and to the user's Facebook friends. If a new comment is published from a "banned" user or contains a blacklisted word, this comment will automatically have limited visibility (the "banned" user's comments will only be visible to the user and the user's Facebook friends).