As he gears up for the May 12 release of his much-buzzed-about new book, "How To Be A Man (And Other Illusions)" (Da Capo Press),former GUNS N' ROSES bassist Duff McKagan will issue a three-song companion EP, "How To Be A Man". Due on the same day as the book, the disc features former GUNS N' ROSES guitarist Izzy Stradlin, ALICE IN CHAINS vocalist/guitarist Jerry Cantrell, STONE SOUR drummer Roy Mayorga and drummer Taz Bentley. It will be available for pre-order beginning May 5.
"How To Be A Man (And Other Illusions)" is the follow-up to Duff's critically acclaimed New York Times bestselling memoir, "It's So Easy (And Other Lies)".
In "How To Be A Man", McKagan shares the wisdom he gained on the path to superstardom — from his time with GUNS N' ROSES and VELVET REVOLVER to getting sober after a life of hard living to achieving his personal American Dream of marrying a supermodel, raising a family and experiencing what it's like to be winked at by Prince.
Among the book's many highlights:
* McKagan discusses the need for communication in your relationships, especially when you want to see the BUZZCOCKS in Manchester and your lady has her sights set on DURAN DURAN in the tropics.
* Together with DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE's Ben Gibbard, he solves one of life's most staggering math problems: if you've seen a million faces, is it truly possible to rock them ALL?
* He spills the beans on some of his fellow rock stars ("Gene Simmons is a kick-ass dancer," "Perry Farrell is an NFL historian and aficionado").
* Travelers will benefit from his plethora of globe-trotting tips, including what shots to get for malaria, how to pack lightly ("hair conditioner makes for good shaving cream, so no need to bring both") and, of course, "don't smoke crack on a leased private jet — the smell gets into everything."
* McKagan, who still uses a Blackberry ("because loyalty is important"),stresses the importance of not being a dick (and don't be a pussy, either). Oh, and get a dog.
* He recalls the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame induction ceremony and reuniting with GUNS N' ROSES frontman Axl Rose for a handful of South American dates.
* He runs down the list of albums that every man should listen to (from ABBA's "Gold" to ZZ TOP's "Tres Hombres"),the books they should read (Stephen Ambrose's "Undaunted Courage" and Dexter Filkins' "The Forever War" are particular favorites) and what they should tell the first dude who shows up at the door to date daddy's little girl ("you pull him aside and tell him, 'everything that you do or try with my daughter tonight, I will do to you when you get back to my home'").
* Of course, no advice book would be complete without tackling the age-old question: when given the choice of taking a private jet to a yacht to hang out with Steven Tyler for a trip to San Juan Islands or going home to stain your deck, what do you do? (Remember, "those boards in the backyard are not going to stain themselves").
Speaking to TotalRock Radio last year about the upcoming book, McKagan said: "I had a column for the Seattle Weekly for five years, and there was one column that was called 'How To Be A Man', and it was kind of tongue in cheek; it was really tongue in cheek. And I got a book deal from that column. It's a how-to guide of things I've learned about life — being a dad, being a husband and being in a rock band. And it's, like, a city guide in it, but a very tongue-in-cheek city guide; like, how I see cities. It's got all kinds of stuff. And other stories. And hopefully it's gonna be a funny book."
McKagan's wisdom has been sought out on everything from financial planning and relationships to surviving the summer festival circuit and escaping a military coup. Expanding on his popular weekly columns in Seattle Weekly, Playboy.com and ESPN.com, McKagan equips readers with the knowledge they need to rock fatherhood, manage their money, and remain a good dude in spite of it all.
Fans can meet Duff during the following book-signing events:
May 11 - Ridgewood, NJ - Bookends
May 12 - New York City - The Strand Bookstore
May 13 - Long Island - Book Revue
May 15 - Hollywood, FL - Hard Rock Casino
May 16 - Ledyard, CT - Foxwoods
May 17 - Seattle - Neptune
May 22 - Los Angeles - Book Soup