Following on from the hugely successful screening of IRON MAIDEN's award-winning film "Flight 666" in over 500 digital cinemas in 42 countries worldwide in April, the recent release of "Flight 666" on DVD has secured another global triumph for the band by flying into the music DVD charts at No. 1 in 22 countries already, including the U.S. and U.K., with many more charts yet to come in!
* In the U.S., it was not only No. 1 debut, but also the highest first-week sales (24,000 copies) of any music DVD so far in 2009! This release closely followed the U.S. TV premiere of the movie on Palladia/VH1, which was watched by over three million people, the highest viewing of a music documentary on the channel so far this year.
* In Canada, it rocketed into the No. 1 position outselling the No. 2 DVD by over 6:1
* In the U.K., first day's sales were over twice the total combined sales of every other DVD in the Top 50!
* In Sweden, "Flight 666" is currently at No. 1, No. 3 and No. 4 on Sweden's leading online retailer Discshop chart with the deluxe, standard and Blu-ray formats respectively!
* In Australia, it not only debuted at No. 1 but was certified platinum within its second week of release.
* In India, as well as being the No.1 music DVD, it entered at No. 6 in the mainstream DVD movie chart, placing it that week ahead of such international blockbusters as "Slumdog Millionaire" and many Bollywood movies!
* In Brazil, where 70% of the market is dominated by local repertoire, it debuted at No. 3 in their national chart and is fully expected to reach No. 1 by next week. It was a new entry at No. 1 in Brazil's International chart.
* Once again No.1 in Arabia.
The countries in the five continents where "Flight 666" flew in at No.1 were Australia, Arabia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil (international chart),Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan (international chart),Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, U.K. and the U.S. Elsewhere in the world it entered at No. 2 in Spain and Portugal, and at No. 3 in France and Hungary, and No. 4 in Holland. With more charts still to come from many other Latin American territories who will release the DVD this week, well over 30 countries are expected to achieve No. 1 for "Flight 666".
And after four weeks of sales in Europe, "Flight 666" is still holding strong at No. 1 in Germany, Sweden, Finland, Switzerland, Norway and Italy, making this IRON MAIDEN's most successful DVD release to date and proving yet again the unswerving, ever-growing support of MAIDEN fans young and old, from every corner of the globe, and the unstoppable resurgence of heavy metal.
"Iron Maiden: Flight 666" follows the IRON MAIDEN bandmembers on the first leg of their "Somewhere Back In Time World Tour" in February and March of 2008.
For "Iron Maiden: Flight 666", IRON MAIDEN was accompanied everywhere by award-winning documentary makers Banger Productions from Toronto in Canada, who have received international critical acclaim for their previous movies "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey" and recently "Global Metal". Producer/presenter Sam Dunn and his team bring an intimate, behind-the-scenes view of this remarkable journey, with a close look at the logistics involved and following Team Maiden in the cockpit, on the plane and on and offstage, getting to the heart of this global adventure of a band that has very rarely even let cameras backstage before.
Shot in high definition and with superb 5.1 surround sound, mixed by the band's producer Kevin "Caveman" Shirley, "Flight 666" brings to the screen all the drama, excitement and hysteria that followed the band around the world every time Ed Force One (the band's plane) touched down in a new country. The film documents the intensity of the punishing show schedules, the struggle with the time zones, the pressures of ensuring that every performance matched the energy of the many thousands of ecstatic and expectant fans from many cultural backgrounds, unusual angles from the spectacular shows... and, of course, the fun had on the way!
As a very special bonus for the fans, MAIDEN has included a second disc of the entire set from the 2008 segment of this tour with the DVD (and as a long-play Blu-ray). Sixteen songs from sixteen different cities in eleven countries around the world, for the first time ever encompassing such varied places and cultures in one concert. In addition to a standard double DVD, EMI released a special souvenir limited-edition deluxe DVD with 30-page booklet. The soundtrack audio version of the live show is available on two CDs, as a limited-edition vinyl set with two picture discs, and a digital download especially for those fans who do not have DVD access or just want to enjoy the show as a great live album. All are lavishly packaged as an ultimate memento of a tour to remember!
To recognize the global phenomenon of MAIDEN, the Blu-ray/DVD are also subtitled in Hindi, Japanese, Dutch, German, Spanish, Brazilian, French, Italian, Portuguese and Swedish.
IRON MAIDEN is currently taking time off before getting together later in the year to start work on a new album, planned for release in 2010.