It's Official: No OZZFEST This Summer

May 12, 2011

It's now official: There will be no Ozzfest in 2011. The venerable heavy rock and metal festival, started in 1997 by Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, has gone through a number of changes over the last few years as a result of economic woes and more competition from events like the Rockstar Energy Drink Mayhem and Uproar festivals. Now for the second time in three years, Ozzfest will not take place at all this summer. Ozzy said, "No, [there will be no Ozzfest] this year. I just finished a lengthy arena tour of the U.S., so I've decided to tour Europe this summer instead."

Last year's Ozzfest was a short, six-date run that featured OZZY, MTLEY CRE, HALFORD, DEVILDRIVER and NONPOINT.

There was no Ozzfest in 2009, while the 2008 edition was a one-day "destination" event in Dallas, Texas, starring OZZY, METALLICA, APOCALYPTICA, KORN's Jonathan Davis and more.

Ozzy told The Pulse Of Radio last year that he wasn't sure what the future held for Ozzfest. "If it takes off again, fine. If it doesn't, well, that's also fine because, you know, it's been great for us," he said. "I mean, we've had a I'm really happy that we've been able to launch new bands into the arena, you know. A good few many bands got successful from the Ozzfest. But since we didn't do it the last couple of years, there's been a few more other festivals pop up. You know, we'll see what happens. You never know, it could go on, it could not."

Even with a still-sluggish economy, the summer festival schedule is packed with events and tours like Mayhem, Uproar, Lollapalooza, the MTLEY CRE/POISON and ROB ZOMBIE/SLAYER double bills, and others.

Find more on
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • reddit
  • email