2014 was a massive year at BLABBERMOUTH.NET. With more than one hundred million page views originating from all corners of the globe, not to mention millions of shares and external social media impressions, "staggering growth" seems the appropriate term here.
From rants and raves to absurdities and tragedies, below is a compilation of the top 25 stories of 2014 as ranked by page view counts via Google Analytics from January 1, 2014 to December 15, 2014.
As the headlines illustrate, it is impossible to predict what can and does go viral. In fact, as loyal BLABBERMOUTH.NET visitors can attest to, there are dozens of other stories that deserve honorable mention this year.
Please feel free to discuss your favorite stories of the year in the comments below or on social media using #blabbermouth2014.
Without further delay, here is your Top 25 countdown:
25. Is SLIPKNOT's New Drummer A 'S**tbag'?
Laura Jane Grace, the lead vocalist for the punk-rock band AGAINST ME!, appears to have slammed the group's former drummer, Jay Weinberg, as a "shitbag" after it was revealed that Weinberg has joined SLIPKNOT as the replacement for Joey Jordison.
24. Conflicting Reports Surface Regarding AC/DC's Future
Mark Evans, who says that he is the son of original AC/DC singer Dave Evans, tweeted a few hours ago that reports of AC/DC's imminent retirement announcement are not merely rumors.
23. SAMMY HAGAR Predicts MICHAEL ANTHONY Will Be Back In VAN HALEN
Ex-VAN HALEN singer Sammy Hagar was asked by VH1 Radio Network's Dave Basner at this week's Classic Rock Roll Of Honour event in Hollywood if he knew anything about reports — which have since been debunked — that his former bandmates are currently mixing the follow-up to "A Different Kind Of Truth".
22. LACEY STURM: Why I Left FLYLEAF
Former FLYLEAF singer Lacey Sturm will release her memoir, "The Reason: How I Discovered a Life Worth Living", on October 7 via Baker Books. In a new video clip promoting the book, Sturm explains why she decided to leave the band.
21. MACHINE HEAD's ROBB FLYNN: 'The Music Business Has Sucked The Life Out Of Creativity
Robb Flynn of San Francisco Bay Area metallers MACHINE HEAD has posted the latest installment of his online blog, "The General Journals: Diary Of A Frontman... And Other Ramblings".
20. GHOST's PAPA EMERITUS II 'Dresses Down' For MUSIC FEEDS In-Studio Performance
Swedish occult rockers GHOST, who toured Australia recently with the Big Day Out, dropped by the Music Feeds studio in full clergymen attire to perform "Ritual", a cut from their debut full-length album, 2010's "Opus Eponymous"; "Year Zero", a song from their second full-length album, 2013's "Infestissumam"; and a cover of Roky Erickson's classic track "If You Have Ghosts". The latter song's progressive-rock undertones are emphasized by the strong vocals of GHOST frontman Papa Emeritus II, who dressed down slightly for the occasion.
19. SLAYER Rescues Kitten Before Indianapolis Show
According to Nuvo.net, metal icons SLAYER and their entourage rescued a kitten in Indianapolis and placed it in a new home.
18. SLIPKNOT's COREY TAYLOR On JOEY JORDISON: 'We Just Weren't Able To Work Anymore'
SLIPKNOT singer Corey Taylor says that Joey Jordison was fired from the group in December 2013 because SLIPKNOT's founding drummer and the other members of the band "just weren't able to work anymore."
17. GODSMACK: '1000hp' Single Premiere
GODSMACK's first all-new single since 2011, "1000hp" (One Thousand Horsepower),arrived at rock radio stations on Monday (June 9) and can now be streamed via YouTube.
16. Guitarist CHRIS BRODERICK Quits MEGADETH
MEGADETH guitarist Chris Broderick has released the following statement: "Due to artistic and musical differences, it is with great reluctance that I announce my departure from MEGADETH to pursue my own musical direction."
15. SLIPKNOT's TAYLOR Says He Was 'Laughing His Ass Off' When He Said He Was 'Upset' Over Bassist Identity Leak
SLIPKNOT singer Corey Taylor has denied that he was angry over the leak of the identity of the band's new bassist, insisting that he was "laughing [his] ass off" when he said he was "upset" about the musician's name being revealed in the media.
14. OZZY OSBOURNE Is 'Forever In Debt' To ROBIN WILLIAMS
The world is reeling from the death of comedian and actor Robin Williams, and among those grieving the Oscar winner is Ozzy Osbourne. The Prince of Darkness once told VH1 Radio Network's Dave Basner how great Robin was when Ozzy's wife, Sharon, was sick in 2002.
13. New SLIPKNOT Bassist's Identity Revealed?
The new SLIPKNOT bassist, who is featured in the band's just-released video for the song "The Devil In I", is believed to be Alessandro "Vman" Venturella, who has served as a guitar tech for MASTODON, FIGHTSTAR and COHEED AND CAMBRIA and was also a member of KROKODIL.
12. Blues Legend JOHNNY WINTER Dead At 70
Blues legend Johnny Winter died yesterday (Wednesday, July 16) at his hotel room in Zurich, Switzerland at the age of 70. His wife, family and bandmates are all saddened by the loss of their loved one and one of the world's finest guitarists.
11. SLIPKNOT: New Song 'The Negative One' Available For Streaming
A brand new SLIPKNOT song titled "The Negative One" is available for streaming on the band's official web site. The track is expected to appear on the group's upcoming album, which is due out sometime this fall via Roadrunner.
10. SLIPKNOT's COREY TAYLOR: Firing JOEY JORDISON 'Was One Of The Hardest Decisions We Ever Made'
SLIPKNOT singer Corey Taylor says that firing Joey Jordison, the band's drummer of 18 years, was "one of the hardest decisions" the group ever made, but insists that he and his bandmates are "happy" to have moved on.
9. MÖTLEY CRÜE: 'RIP: All Bad Things Must Come To An End'
MÖTLEY CRÜE will hold a special event in Los Angeles on January 28 under the banner "RIP: All Bad Things Must Come To An End". The band is expected to announce the first details of its farewell tour, which will likely last for a couple of years.
8. SLIPKNOT's JIM ROOT: We Put The New Drummer 'Through The Wringer'
SLIPKNOT's fifth album, ".5: The Gray Chapter", will be released on October 21 via Roadrunner. It's the band's first CD without founding drummer Joey Jordison, who was fired in 2013, and late bassist Paul Gray.
7. Ex-OZZY OSBOURNE Bassist BOB DAISLEY Says RANDY RHOADS Was 'Disrespected' At 'Classic Rock Roll Of Honour'
Bob Daisley, who played bass on the first two solo albums by Ozzy Osbourne, says that Randy Rhoads, the original guitarist for the BLACK SABBATH singer solo band, was disrespected at the recent Classic Rock Roll Of Honour awards, where Ozzy was honored for Osbourne's first solo album, "Blizzard Of Ozz".
6. SUICIDAL TENDENCIES Bassist TIM 'RAWBIZ' WILLIAMS Dies
Long-running Venice Beach, California thrash/punk band SUICIDAL TENDENCIES has released the following statement: "It's with complete sadness that we have to announce the passing of bassist Tim 'Rawbiz' Williams."
5. Legendary Actor CHRISTOPHER LEE Releases New Heavy Metal Single 'Darkest Carols, Faithful Sing' (Total pageviews: 220,170; Unique pageviews: 210,053)
Sir Christopher Lee, who has starred in almost 300 movies, including "The Lord Of The Rings", "Star Wars", "The Man With The Golden Gun", "Dracula", "The Wicker Man" and most recently "The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies", has released a new heavy metal single titled "Darkest Carols, Faithful Sing".
4. STAIND's AARON LEWIS Berates 'A**hole' Concertgoers For 'Molesting' Crowd-Surfing Girl (Total pageviews: 525,745; Unique pageviews: 482,816)
STAIND frontman Aaron Lewis stopped the band's show mid-song at yesterday's (Saturday, May 31) Rockfest in Kansas City to berate concertgoers who were allegedly "molesting" a teenage girl while she was crowd surfing at the gig.
3. GWAR Frontman DAVE BROCKIE A.K.A. ODERUS URUNGUS Dead At 50 (Total pageviews: 751,442; Unique pageviews: 700,272)
GWAR's manager, Jack Flanagan, has released the following statement: "It is with a saddened heart that I confirm my dear friend Dave Brockie, artist, musician, and lead singer of GWAR, passed away at approximately 6:50 p.m. EST Sunday, March 23, 2014."
2. TOM MORELLO Slams Seattle Restaurant After Being Denied Service (Total pageviews: 1,115,118; Unique pageviews: 1,048,746)
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE guitarist Tom Morello has slammed The 5 Point Cafe in Seattle for allegedly being "antiworker" and having a "super-rude staff" after reportedly being denied entry to the restaurant-bar over the weekend.
1. STATIC-X Frontman WAYNE STATIC Dead At 48 (Total pageviews: 1,905,364; Unique pageviews: 1,766,329)
Singer/guitarist Wayne Static (born Wayne Richard Wells) of the industrial metal band STATIC-X has passed away at the age of 48. His death was confirmed by Wayne's publicists at FiXT Publicity.