As previously reported, "Tragic Idol" sold around 900 copies in the United States in its first week of release. The CD landed at position No. 32 on the Top New Artist Albums (Heatseekers) chart, which lists the best-selling albums by new and developing artists, defined as those who have never appeared in the Top 100 of The Billboard 200.
Released on April 24 (one day earlier internationally) via Century Media Records, "Tragic Idol" was recorded in part at The Chapel studios in Lincolnshire, England and features cover art by by Parisian designer Valnoir, who has previously worked with MORBID ANGEL, LAIBACH, ULVER and WATAIN, among others.
"Tragic Idol" track listing:
01. Solitary One (04:08) 02. Crucify (04:08) 03. Fear Of Impending Hell (05:25) 04. Honesty In Death (04:08) 05. Theories From Another World (05:02) 06. In This We Dwell (03:55) 07. To The Darkness (05:09) 08. Tragic Idol (04:35) 09. Worth Fighting For (04:12) 10. The Glorious End (05:23)
In addition to the standard CD, "Tragic Idol" was made available in the following formats:
* 180-gram gatefold LP (black vinyl)
* Limited 2-CD box set including: - Alternative cover artwork in matte/glossy print on the box - CD Digipak, coated in silver foil, imprinted with glossy varnish - Extended 24-page booklet, imprinted with glossy varnish and special Pantone gold color - Bonus CD including one brand new studio track "Ending Through Changes" and the SPEAR OF DESTINY cover version "Never Take Me Alive"
* Strictly limited deluxe box set (box with a golden foil print)
* EMP edition (200 copies) including: - Limited 2-CD box set - Gatefold LP (gold colored vinyl) - 7-Inch (gold colored vinyl) - PARADISE LOST army cap - A1 "Tragic Idol" poster - Tragic Idol slipmat - Hand-numbered certificate of authenticity
* Amazon edition (GER 400 copies & FR 200 copies) including: - Limited 2-CD Box Set - Gatefold LP (White Colored Vinyl) - 7-inch (White Colored Vinyl) - Paradise Lost Army Cap - A1 Tragic Idol poster - "Tragic Idol" slipmat - Hand-numbered certificate of authenticity
* Nuclear Blast edition (400 copies) including: - Limited 2CD box set - Gatefold LP (dark-blue-colored vinyl) - 7-inch (dark-blue-colored vinyl) - PARADISE LOST army cap - A1 "Tragic Idol" poster - "Tragic Idol" slipmat - Hand-numbered certificate of authenticity
Band edition (250 copies) including: - Strictly limited 2CD box set - Gatefold LP (dark sand marbled colored vinyl) - 7-inch (dark sand marbled colored vinyl) - PARADISE LOST Army Cap - A1 "Tragic Idol" poster - "Tragic Idol" slipmat - Hand-numbered certificate of authenticity
A track from "Tragic Idol" entitled "Crucify" can be streamed below. Singer Nick Holmes stated about the song, "My father always used to say that typical life stresses were crucifying him. I always thought it was such a dramatic way of stating that. He was just uncomfortable with a situation that would soon be remedied. I also refer to an actual person as a literal crucifixion at the end. The words 'for eternity you’re my sentence' is my favorite line on the whole album."
PARADISE LOST's new video, "Honesty In Death", can be seen below. The clip was filmed in the United Kingdom with director Matt Green, who previously helmed the "Cathedrals Of Dread" video for Mackintosh's death metal side project VALLENFYRE.
Commented guitarist Greg Mackintosh: "We are very excited about the premiere of our 'Honesty In Death' video. In my opinion, it is the best video we have ever done. Matt Green, who I had previously worked with on the VALLENFYRE 'Cathedrals Of Dread' video, directed it. He did such a great job with VALLENFYRE that we knew he would be able to do something really special for PARADISE LOST. The result is a very powerful, but very grim short film with brief cameos by the band, that is sure to resonate with people who see it."