"Draconian Love", the new video from EDGUY frontman Tobias Sammet's AVANTASIA project, can be seen below. The clip contains live footage from AVANTASIA's recent shows in Brazil.
"Draconian Love" is taken from AVANTASIA's seventh studio album, "Ghostlights", which entered the German chart at position No. 2. Released on January 29 via Nuclear Blast, the twelve-song CD was produced by Tobias and Sascha Paeth at Gatestudio in Wolfsburg, Germany. Paeth engineered and mixed "Ghostlights", while the mastering was done by Michael Rodenberg.
In an interview with Myglobalmind, Tobias stated about the lyrical themes covered on "Ghostlights": "It's a concept that started in novel form on 'The Mystery Of Time' and 'Ghoslights' is based on that one, so it finishes the story. The twelve new songs represent twelve stations on the protagonist's journey. It's a journey where he is looking for answers for some questions about his own existence and that leaves its mark on his philosophical worldview as well. Those twelve songs represent key moments on this journey and then it's done. There is no happy end indeed — it's a very open ending — but I didn't want to continue the story in fairytale form. Instead I wanted it to be more universal, so that people can think about the things that happen in the story. You should be able to interpret it for yourself in the end. So this concept and topic is definitely finished."
Tobias also talked about the musical direction of "Ghostlights". He said: "I'm not that kind of person who sits down after a large market analysis and says, 'The next album has to be faster, darker or softer.' That will never happen, and that's good, because you can keep it interesting for yourself. I never really know in which direction it will lead. I just have a rough idea in mind when I develop a concept and of course there is a certain quintessence that is always present during the whole process, but I never really know how it will turn out. You never know if a song gets more dark or something like that. These are simply nuances. So many things are happening during the development process, so because of smallest changes a song can go into a different direction in the end. Let me give you one example. There is one song called 'Draconian Love' that sounds quiet dark, but that just happened in the studio. Originally this one was a typical AVANTASIA track in the vein of 'Dying For An Angel' or 'Avantasia' from the very first record. At the end of the day, Sascha Paeth came up with the idea that my duet partner Herbie Langhans from SINBREED could sing his part an octave lower than me to get a bigger discrepancy between our two voices. And suddenly this song got this kind of… many people call it 'gothic' touch. I really can't compare it, since I'm not into this style of music, but because of that little change this song got a more darker tone."
"Ghostlights" features guest appearances by:
* Dee Snider (TWISTED SISTER) * Geoff Tate (QUEENSRŸCHE) * Marco Hietala (NIGHTWISH) * Sharon Den Adel (WITHIN TEMPTATION) * Michael Kiske (HELLOWEEN) * Ronnie Atkins (PRETTY MAIDS) * Bob Catley (MAGNUM) * Jorn Lande (MASTERPLAN) * Bruce Kulick (KISS) * Robert Mason (WARRANT) * Herbie Langhans (SEVENTH AVENUE, SINBREED) * Oliver Hartmann * Sascha Paeth
The instrumentalists on "Ghostlights" are as follows:
* Sascha Paeth - rhythm guitar, lead guitar, bass, additional keys * Michael Rodenberg - orchestration, keys * Tobias Sammet - additional keys and bass * Bruce Kulick - lead guitar * Oliver Hartmann - lead guitar * Felix Bohnke - drums
01. Mystery Of A Blood Red Rose Lead vocals: Tobias Lead guitar: Sascha Paeth
02. Let The Storm Descend Upon You Lead vocals: Tobias, Jorn Lande, Ronnie Atkins, Robert Mason Lead guitar: Oliver Hartmann
03. The Haunting Lead vocals: Dee Snider, Tobias Lead guitar: Sascha Paeth
04. Seduction Of Decay Lead vocals: Geoff Tate, Tobias Lead guitar: Sascha Paeth
05. Ghostlights Lead vocals: Michael Kiske, Tobias, Jorn Lande Lead guitar: Sascha Paeth, Oliver Hartmann
06. Draconian Love Lead vocals: Herbie Langhans, Tobias Lead guitar: Sascha Paeth
07. Master Of The Pendulum Lead vocals: Marco Hietala, Tobias Lead guitar: Sascha Paeth
08. Isle Of Evermore Lead vocals: Sharon Den Adel, Tobias
09. Babylon Vampyres Lead vocals: Tobias, Robert Mason Lead guitar: Bruce Kulick, Oliver Hartmann, Sascha Paeth
10. Lucifer Lead vocals: Jorn Lande, Tobias Lead guitar: Bruce Kulick
11. Unchain The Light Lead vocals: Tobias, Ronnie Atkins, Michael Kiske Lead guitar: Sascha Paeth, Oliver Hartmann
12. A Restless Heart And Obsidian Skies Lead vocals: Bob Catley, Tobias Lead guitar: Bruce Kulick
01. Mystery Of A Blood Red Rose 02. Let The Storm Descend Upon You 03. The Haunting 04. Seduction Of Decay 05. Ghostlights 06. Draconian Love 07. Master Of The Pendulum 08. Isle Of Evermore 09. Babylon Vampyres 10. Lucifer 11. Unchain The Light 12. A Restless Heart And Obsidian Skies 13. Wake Up To The Moon (bonus track)
CD 2 (Bonus Disc - AVANTASIA live)
01. Spectres 02. Invoke The Machine 03. The Story Ain't Over 04. Prelude 05. Reach Out For The Light 06. Avantasia 07. Whats Left Of Me 08. Dying For An Angel 09. Twisted Mind 10. The Watchmakers' Dream 11. Another Angel Down --- Earbook (digibook including 68-page photobook, 28.5x28.5cm)+ CD 3 karaoke version of CD 1 without bonus track
01. Mystery Of A Blood Red Rose 02. Let The Storm Descend Upon You 03. The Haunting 04. Seduction Of Decay 05. Ghostlights 06. Draconian Love 07. Master Of The Pendulum 08. Isle Of Evermore 09. Babylon Vampyres 10. Lucifer 11. Unchain The Light 12. A Restless Heart And Obsidian Skies
- Earbook - Poster - Autograph - Lanyard + Pass - 10" Vinyl (tracks to be confirmed)
01. Mystery Of A Blood Red Rose 02. Let The Storm Descend Upon You 03. The Haunting
01. Seduction Of Decay 02. Ghostlights 03. Draconian Love
01. Master Of The Pendulum 02. Isle Of Evermore 03. Babylon Vampyres
01. Lucifer 02. Unchain The Light 03. A Restless Heart And Obsidian Skies 04. Wake Up To The Moon (bonus track)