Flashy indoor fireworks are now permanently a thing of the past in Massachusetts nightclubs, according to the Associated Press.
The Board of Fire Prevention Regulations voted Thursday (May 6) to ban the indoor pyrotechnics in the wake of last year's fire at a West Warwick, R.I. club that claimed the lives of 100 concertgoers, according to state Fire Marshal Stephen Coan.
The fire was sparked after GREAT WHITE, a band performing at the club lit indoor pyrotechnics. More than 30 Massachusetts residents were among those who died.
The board had already banned the indoor pyrotechnics on an emergency basis in January, but decided to make that temporary ban permanent Thursday.
Pyrotechnics will still be allowed in certain indoor locations, provided that the building is equipped with a sprinkler system and the owner of the building acknowledges in writing that the pyrotechnics will be used.