DAVID COVERDALE's 1972 Demo For DEEP PURPLE Included On WHITESNAKE's 'The Purple Album: Special Gold Edition'
August 24, 2023
David Coverdale was a relatively unknown 21-year-old singer-songwriter when he joined DEEP PURPLE in 1973. He went on to record three classic albums alongside the Rock And Roll Hall Of Famers before embarking on his musical journey a few years later with his band, WHITESNAKE.
Coverdale is celebrating the 50th anniversary of his DEEP PURPLE debut this year with a special version of "The Purple Album", WHITESNAKE's tribute to his three-year tenure with the legendary group. This newly remixed, remastered, and expanded edition of the 2015 album features previously unreleased recordings, including the very demo that secured Coverdale's spot with DEEP PURPLE.
"The Purple Album: Special Gold Edition" arrives on October 13 as a 2-CD/Blu-ray set for $29.98 and a 2-LP set on resplendent gold vinyl for $36.98. The new remix of "Burn" is available today digitally.
Coverdale recorded "The Purple Album" with guitarist Reb Beach, bassist Michael Devin, guitarist Joel Hoekstra (on his first WHITESNAKE album),and drummer Tommy Aldridge, reappearing on a WHITESNAKE studio album for the first time since 1989's "Slip Of The Tongue". The band cherry-picked gems from "Burn" (1974),"Stormbringer" (1974) and "Come Taste The Band" (1975),delivering inspired takes on fan favorites like "Lay Down Stay Down", "Lady Double Dealer" and "You Keep On Moving".
The 2-CD/Blu-ray version of "The Purple Album: Special Gold Edition" goes beyond the original with the addition of live recordings and concert videos from "The Purple Tour" ("The Gypsy", "Mistreated"),official music videos ("Sail Away", "You Fool No One"),and an assortment of previously unreleased material, including six alternate mixes of album tracks. The Blu-ray also offers a behind-the-scenes look at the album's making and a song-by-song commentary by Coverdale.
An exciting addition to the upcoming collection is the four-song demo Coverdale submitted to DEEP PURPLE, hoping to become the band's next singer. Recorded in 1972 with his former band, THE FABULOSA BROTHERS, the reel-to-reel tape was extensively restored after Coverdale stumbled upon it among his late mother's belongings. In the album's liner notes, Coverdale says: "I had no idea my Mam had the tape…For me, to open my Mam's trunk of personal items, 30 years after her passing, was a gift from Heaven." The collection also features several demos Coverdale recorded while working on songs for DEEP PURPLE's 1974 album "Stormbringer".
"The Purple Album: Special Gold Edition" 2-CD/Blu-ray track listing:
CD One: 2023 Remix
01. Burn 02. Lay Down, Stay Down 03. Love Child 04. Holy Man 05. The Gypsy 06. Lady Double Dealer 07. Might Just Take Your Life 08. Mistreated 09. Stormbringer 10. Sail Away (Interpolating "Elegy For Jon") 11. You Keep On Moving – featuring the Hook City Strings 12. Lady Luck 13. Coming Home 14. You Fool No One (Interpolating "Itchy Fingers") Dedicated in loving memory to Jeff Beck 15. Soldier Of Fortune
The Purple Tour Five Live
01. Burn 02. The Gypsy 03. Mistreated 04. You Fool No One 05. Soldier Of Fortune
06. Holy Man (Unzipped) * 07. Stormbringer (Punch In The Nuts Mix) * 08. Love Child (Alternate Mix) * 09. Soldier Of Fortune – featuring Joel Hoekstra & The Hook City Strings * 10. Soldier Of Fortune – featuring The Hook City Strings * 11. Soldier Of Fortune (Instrumental) – featuring The Hook City Strings *
The 1972 DC Purple Audition Tape Featuring The Fabulosa Brothers
12. Everybody's Talkin' * 13. Get Ready * 14. Lonely Town, Lonely Street * 15. Dancing In The Street * 16. 1974 DC Demo Ideas For The Stormbringer Album *
Purple Music Videos
01. Lady Double Dealer 02. Stormbringer 03. Sail Away 04. Soldier Of Fortune 05. The Gypsy 06. Soldier Of Fortune – featuring Joel Hoekstra & The Hook City Strings* 07. Soldier Of Fortune – featuring The Hook City Strings*
08. Lay Down, Stay Down* 09. Holy Man* 10. You Keep On Moving* 11. You Fool No One*
12. Burn – Live "Atlantis" Video 13. Burn/Stormbringer – Live In The Still Of The Night 14. Soldier Of Fortune – Starkers In Tokyo
The Purple Tour Five Live
15. Burn 16. The Gypsy 17. Mistreated 18. You Fool No One 19. Soldier Of Fortune 20. The Purple Album: Behind The Scenes* 21. The Purple Album: Song-By-Song*
* Previously unreleased
When "The Purple Album" was originally released, Coverdale told Billboard: "Everyone did their homework, and every performance is done respectfully in honor of [DEEP PURPLE's] musicians. Though I focused on the twin-guitar attack of WHITESNAKE, we had a guest keyboard player because a huge part of the DEEP PURPLE sound was Jon Lord playing that amazing Hammond organ."
He continued: "There were respectful nods to the original musicians throughout the album, and it has come out delightfully. It's a tribute to Jon Lord, Ian Paice and Ritchie Blackmore, who gave me my break in the first place. I'd never even made a record when I joined DEEP PURPLE, and my first record went double gold, which was early platinum. They didn't even have platinum records back in those days!"
Coverdale added: "When we were working on it, each one of my musicians said these songs sounded as if they were written yesterday, and none of them were born when I first recorded them! It's a testament to the songs that they stand up. We've Whitesnaked them up and given them a fresh coat of paint, but it's still the same House of Purple."
BLABBERMOUTH.NET uses the Facebook Comments plugin to let people comment on content on the site using their Facebook account. The comments reside on Facebook servers and are not stored on BLABBERMOUTH.NET. To comment on a BLABBERMOUTH.NET story or review, you must be logged in to an active personal account on Facebook. Once you're logged in, you will be able to comment. User comments or postings do not reflect the viewpoint of BLABBERMOUTH.NET and BLABBERMOUTH.NET does not endorse, or guarantee the accuracy of, any user comment. To report spam or any abusive, obscene, defamatory, racist, homophobic or threatening comments, or anything that may violate any applicable laws, use the "Report to Facebook" and "Mark as spam" links that appear next to the comments themselves. To do so, click the downward arrow on the top-right corner of the Facebook comment (the arrow is invisible until you roll over it) and select the appropriate action. You can also send an e-mail to blabbermouthinbox(@)gmail.com with pertinent details. BLABBERMOUTH.NET reserves the right to "hide" comments that may be considered offensive, illegal or inappropriate and to "ban" users that violate the site's Terms Of Service. Hidden comments will still appear to the user and to the user's Facebook friends. If a new comment is published from a "banned" user or contains a blacklisted word, this comment will automatically have limited visibility (the "banned" user's comments will only be visible to the user and the user's Facebook friends).