In an unprecedented move for METALLICA, the band is releasing music videos for each song from their forthcoming album, "Hardwired… To Self-Destruct", starting today at 12:00 p.m. EST on Metallica.com and simultaneously with editorial partners around the world for every two hours. New songs and their videos will premiere right up to when the clock turns over at midnight in New Zealand, where the first official copy of the new album will be available worldwide. The videos — shot around the globe — will give fans the opportunity to hear the long-awaited METALLICA album two days ahead of its official November 18 release via Blackened Recordings.
Directors for the videos include: Jonas Åkerlund, who originally worked with the band on "Turn The Page" and "Whiskey In The Jar", album package photographers Herring and Herring, Colin Hakes ("Hardwired"),Clark Eddy ("Atlas Rise", and countless "Making of . . ." clips),Tom Kirk ("Moth Into Flame"),Claire Marie Vogel, Jessica Cope, Rob Valley, Phil Mucci, and METALLICA's very own videographer Brett Murray. The forthcoming clips follow the previously released videos for "Hardwired", "Moth Into Flame", and "Atlas, Rise".
METALLICA's "ManUNkind" video — which is described as "the ultimate tribute to the forefathers of black metal" — can be seen below. The clip was directed by Åkerlund, the original drummer of BATHORY, one of the first black metal bands, who made his mark directing music videos for artists from Madonna and THE ROLLING STONES to MAROON 5 and Beyoncé. These have won him a host of awards including several Grammys, an MTV VMA, MVPA Hall Of Fame award and more. Åkerlund has also directed a number of feature films, including cult favorite "Spun" starring Jason Schwartzman, Mickey Rourke, Brittany Murphy and John Leguizamo.
The long-awaited follow-up to 2008's "Death Magnetic", "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" consists of two discs, containing a dozen songs and nearly 80 minutes of music.
"Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" was produced by Greg Fidelman with frontman James Hetfield and drummer Lars Ulrich. The band recorded the disc at its own studio.
Instead of a previously announced bonus disc of demos, the deluxe edition of the album will now feature a number of cover tunes that the band has recorded over the past few years, including a medley of Ronnie James Dio songs, IRON MAIDEN's "Remember Tomorrow" and DEEP PURPLE's "When A Blind Man Cries".
The deluxe version will also feature a live set recorded at Rasputin's in Berkeley, California on Record Store Day 2016 and a concert version of the song "Hardwired" recorded at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis.
"Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" track listing:
Deluxe Edition (Digital Download & CD)
01. Hardwired 02. Atlas, Rise! 03. Now That We're Dead 04. Moth Into Flame 05. Dream No More 06. Halo On Fire
01. Confusion 02. ManUNkind 03. Here Comes Revenge 04. Am I Savage? 05. Murder One 06. Spit Out the Bone
Disc Three (Bonus)
01. Lords of Summer 02. Ronnie Rising Medley 03. When a Blind Man Cries 04. Remember Tomorrow 05. Helpless (Live at Rasputin Music) 06. Hit the Lights (Live at Rasputin Music) 07. The Four Horsemen (Live at Rasputin Music) 08. Ride the Lightning (Live at Rasputin Music) 09. Fade to Black (Live at Rasputin Music) 10. Jump in the Fire (Live at Rasputin Music) 11. For Whom the Bell Tolls (Live at Rasputin Music) 12. Creeping Death (Live at Rasputin Music) 13. Metal Militia (Live at Rasputin Music) 14. Hardwired (Live in Minneapolis)
Deluxe Box Set (3LP + 1CD)
Disc One Side A
01. Hardwired 02. Atlas, Rise! 03. Now That We're Dead
Disc One Side B
01. Moth Into Flame 02. Am I Savage? 03. Halo On Fire
Disc Two Side C
01. Confusion 02. Dream No More 03. ManUNkind
Disc Two Side D
01. Here Comes Revenge 02. Murder One 03. Spit Out the Bone
Disc Three Side E (Bonus)
01. Lords of Summer
Disc Three Side F (Bonus)
01. Hardwired (Live in Minneapolis)
01. Ronnie Rising Medley 02. When a Blind Man Cries 03. Remember Tomorrow 04. Helpless (Live at Rasputin Music) 05. Hit the Lights (Live at Rasputin Music) 06. The Four Horsemen (Live at Rasputin Music) 07. Ride the Lightning (Live at Rasputin Music) 08. Fade to Black (Live at Rasputin Music) 09. Jump in the Fire (Live at Rasputin Music) 10. For Whom the Bell Tolls (Live at Rasputin Music) 11. Creeping Death (Live at Rasputin Music) 12. Metal Militia (Live at Rasputin Music)
BLABBERMOUTH.NET uses the Facebook Comments plugin to let people comment on content on the site using their Facebook account. The comments reside on Facebook servers and are not stored on BLABBERMOUTH.NET. To comment on a BLABBERMOUTH.NET story or review, you must be logged in to an active personal account on Facebook. Once you're logged in, you will be able to comment. User comments or postings do not reflect the viewpoint of BLABBERMOUTH.NET and BLABBERMOUTH.NET does not endorse, or guarantee the accuracy of, any user comment. To report spam or any abusive, obscene, defamatory, racist, homophobic or threatening comments, or anything that may violate any applicable laws, use the "Report to Facebook" and "Mark as spam" links that appear next to the comments themselves. To do so, click the downward arrow on the top-right corner of the Facebook comment (the arrow is invisible until you roll over it) and select the appropriate action. You can also send an e-mail to blabbermouthinbox(@)gmail.com with pertinent details. BLABBERMOUTH.NET reserves the right to "hide" comments that may be considered offensive, illegal or inappropriate and to "ban" users that violate the site's Terms Of Service. Hidden comments will still appear to the user and to the user's Facebook friends. If a new comment is published from a "banned" user or contains a blacklisted word, this comment will automatically have limited visibility (the "banned" user's comments will only be visible to the user and the user's Facebook friends).